CBD Dosage For Dogs: How CBD Can Help Your Canine Friend
Your furry friend can also benefit from the therapeutic effects of cannabidiol (CBD). CBD is generally safe. However, you can always consult a veterinarian to ensure that your dog is in good condition to take CBD. Obviously, the dosage for canines would be far different from human beings.
In this post, you'll learn more about CBD dosage for dogs and how CBD can help your canine friend.
CBD Health Benefits For Dogs
Even for your furry friends, CBD is highly recommended. CBD contains antioxidant, analgesic, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help your dog attain health and wellness. In that way, your dog will live for many years, and you can spend more quality time together rather than spending it on sick days at home or hospitalization.
Here are some of the medical conditions that CBD treats for your canine friends:
- Stress and anxiety
- Moderate to severe pain
- Epileptic seizures
- Arthritis and joint pain
- Chronic inflammation
- Digestion problems
- Cancer symptoms
CBD Dosage: Giving the Right Amount of CBD Depends on Different Factors
CBD products benefit dogs in many ways. When you're planning to give your canine friend CBD, you should consider a lot of things when it comes to dosing. Same as human beings, not all dogs react the same way with CBD. Each dog is unique with varying CBD requirements, so adjustments in their dosages should be made correctly.
Here are the factors that dog owners should know before introducing CBD products to their furry friends:
- Physical Factors: It's important to consider the dog's age and body weight because these factors can affect CBD oil's potency. For instance, a 35-pound dog is more susceptible to 25 mg of CBD oil than a 150-pound dog. Younger and healthier dogs need a higher dose than older dogs. Of course, it depends on what CBD is being used for.
- Diagnosis Factors: The medical condition of your canine friend would dictate how much CBD oil you'll introduce to your dog. For instance, chronic pain would require a higher dose than that of treating anxiety.
- Product Factors: The type of CBD product also determines the dosage of CBD that’s applicable for your dog. For instance, a dog that’s treated with CBD infused edible will not be as potent as giving pure CBD oil or straight CBD tincture.
Follow CBD Company or Manufacturer's Dosing Guidelines
Giving the right CBD dose can be confusing. With the confusion behind CBD dosing, you can always follow the manufacturer's guidelines so your dog can fully enjoy the health benefits of CBD – an all-natural remedy to various medical conditions.
Knowing the right CBD dosage for your dog is important to address severe health conditions. However, there are no regulated doses or standard guidelines available for CBD. That's why pet owners have to rely on the manufacturer's CBD dosing guidelines.
Every CBD manufacturer has dosing guidelines, and it varies depending on the CBD concentration. For instance, lower doses of CBD are given for general well-being and occasional anxiety.
Calculate CBD Oil Dosages
If you want to use CBD oil for your dog for medicinal purposes, it's important to calculate a safe dosage. First and foremost, you have to calculate the amount of CBD in milligrams (mg) based on your dog's weight. As a general rule, you can give 0.2mg of CBD oil per pound. For example, if your dog weighs 30 pounds, you'll provide him with 6mg of CBD.
The next step is to calculate how much CBD oil you need to give your dog, depending on the milligrams of CBD per milliliter of oil. Of course, it’ll highly depend on the strength of the formula you’ll be using.
Here are some examples of common formula strengths and the corresponding amount of CBD:
- A 75-milligram formula has 2.5 milligrams of CBD per milliliter of CBD oil.
- A 150-milligram formula has 5 milligrams of CBD per milliliter of CBD oil.
- A 300-milligram formula has 10 milligrams of CBD per milliliter of CBD oil.
- A 600-milligram formula has 20 milligrams of CBD per milliliter of CBD oil.
For example, for a 30-pound pet who needs 6mg of CBD, you'd give him 2.1 ml of 75-milligram formula, 1.1 ml of the 150-milligram formula, or 0.6ml of the 300-milligram formula. For small pets, 600mg is not recommended because of the difficulty in administering a CBD dose of 0.25ml with the oral syringe that most CBD companies provide.
Now you're more confident to give the right dose of CBD for your canine friends. Always make sure to visit a veterinarian before introducing CBD, check the manufacturer's guidelines, and give the proper dosage based on safe general rules stated above. By doing so, you and your furry friends will have more quality time together with reduced sick days because of the amazing health benefits of CBD.