Best Dog Ramp For Car To Help Your Pet Get In And Out
Having furry friends means that you would need to do everything to make them comfortable and happy. Dogs are like little babies that we should care for and whether they are young or old, they need our love, care and attention.
Dogs come in different shapes, sizes and age. While it is easy for some dogs to jump on beds and different high platforms without help, it is quite difficult for older or smaller dogs to do the same. As dogs age, they go through certain joint issues that come with being old, such as arthritis and this limits their ability to engage in physical activities that require them to jump. Also, smaller dogs would always find it difficult to get into cars, trunks, etc. without being carried. Therefore, pet ramps and steps for dogs are necessary to ease movement for these animals.
- Anti-slip surface
- Telescopic - fits for different vehicles
- Extra-long and wide
- Easy to store
Dog Stairs, Steps or Ramp - What to Choose?
You are at the market to shop for an equipment that can help your old, sick or small puppy climb your car/ truck/ SUV, but you do not know what exactly would be suitable for your pet. You are unsure whether your pet needs a stair, steps or a ramp. Allow me to explain what you should look out for.
First, it does not matter if you call it steps or stairs, they both mean the same thing and can be used interchangeably. However, a pet ramp does the same thing as the stairs but look slightly different and is used for a different reason too.
A dog stair is created mostly for small or medium dogs who find it difficult to climb the high platforms like beds, sofas and cars. You know, it is not really healthy for dogs to keep jumping up and down high platforms because their joints will not be able to withstand the pressure like humans and over time, as they age, they run a high risk of becoming sufferers from joint diseases.
A car ramp for dogs on the other hand is for dogs that suffer from arthritis and find it difficult to walk up and down or jump up and down a vehicle. Stairs may aggravate the pain of dogs with joint related issues or stress of small dogs which are forced to use a lot of energy climbing the stairs.
What to Look for When Choosing a Ramp or Steps for Your Pet
So, depending on the situation that your pet is facing, you may need to purchase the ramp or stairs. Other factors to consider when you know which one to purchase are size, durability, dog weight, surface grip of the product, etc. You may also want to look out for how best it would suit your dog. Are your dog young, old, big, small, or sick? After considering all these factors, then you can look at the one that fits your budget better.
Review of Dog Steps and Ramps
Now that we have established what ramps and stairs are, I will do detailed dog stairs/steps and dog car ramp reviews to help you understand what is available in the market and help you choose what is best for your furry friend.
· Best Dog Ramp for Car Overall: PetSafe Happy Ride Extra Long - Dog Ramp for Pickup Truck
From all our reviews, this 18-pound lightweight pet ramp scored a 10 out of 10 for being the best dog ramp ever. Besides it's being a lightweight product, it is one of the top collapsible car ramps that can be used for cars, SUVs, trucks, and other vehicles.
Although it does not weigh much, it can hold the weight of a 300-pound dog. This is good, especially if your dog is old. It has a high-traction surface and side rails to prevent your pet from slipping. It is made of aluminum and plastic, which makes it the pet ramp for car, truck, minivan or SUV.
- Anti-slip surface.
- It's telescopic - fits for different vehicles.
- Extra-long and wide for larger dogs.
- Easy to store.
- Super light to carry
- It can handle the weight of big dogs
- Best for old dogs with arthritis or joint issues
- Provides solid grip
- It is the best dog ramp for truck side door
- It is expensive
· Runner Up for Dog Ramps for Cars: PetSTEP Original Folding Pet Ramp - Best Pet Ramp for Older Dogs
This product won the second best not just because of its amazing reviews but because of its functionality. Weighing only 8 kg, this ramp can hold a dog that is more than 20 times heavier.
An elderly friedn of mine said that she loves the product so much because of how light it is, and it helps all her medium sized dogs get into the car swiftly. She also loved that she could fold it in two, which eventually takes up little space in her jeep.
- It is very light and weights 18 pounds, making it easy for a dog parent to carry.
- Its components are made of plastic, making it very easy to clean.
- Helps to reduce pain associated with arthritis and dysplasia.
- The walking surface is non-slip and made of rubber to ensure a firm but soft grip on the dog’s paw.
- It can be used on all vehicle types and around every part of the car.
Now that we know the features, let us look at some advantages and disadvantages of this product.
- Easy to clean
- Does not rust
- It is foldable and takes little space
- A large dog cannot use it
· Budget Buy: PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Dog Ramp - Top Dog Ramp for Car Side Doors
We all want the best for our dogs but sometimes, the best comes with some costs. However, that cost can be dealt with when you purchase this product. It is amongst the best dog ramps for big dogs. Not only is it very affordable, it is also very sturdy, especially for dogs that weigh up to 54 kg.
One of the beautiful things about this product is that it can be easily cleaned and when folded does not take up space. As soon as your pet gets on or off the car, simply fold the device and use the secure latch to hold it in place.
- It can carry the weight of a dog which is up to 120 pounds.
- It comes with 4 extra grip takes, which is not optional to use but gives higher traction to the ramp.
- It is suitable for any kind of weather and can be washed or cleaned without getting rusted.
Let’s now look at the pros and cons of using this device.
- Strong enough to carry large dogs
- Easy to wash
- Foldable equipment
- It is cheap
- Spoils easily
· Best Pet Steps for Large Dogs: PET LOADER Ultra-Light - Cheap Stairs for Dogs
Have you been buying different steps for your big pets and they keep getting destroyed in a short while? This is because you may have been spending money on the wrong equipment. Invest in pet-load stairs for big dogs that can hold even the largest of dogs without falling to pieces.
So, whether you have a small, medium or large dog, this will work well for them. It comes in variations of 3, 4, and 5 steps and will work nicely for a car or bed.
A colleague who got this cheap truck steps for his young puppy and two old dogs with joint issues said that it worked well for the medium sized dogs, but the older ones found it difficult to climb the stairs, even being large breed dogs, because the stairs caused strain to their knees.
- This best pet stairs for large dogs is very light and very easy to carry around.
- It can be folded when not in use.
- This product will prevent future joint diseases for a young dog because climbing stairs reduces joint diseases compared to just jumping into the car.
- This product is very gentle on the dog’s paws and has better stability than a ramp.
- It can be folded
- Ergonomics approved
- Comes with a lifelong warranty
- Aluminum may rust
· Collapsible Stairs for Dogs: COPACHI Dog Car Step - Portable Dog Steps for Car
Lifting your dog(s) multiple times a day can eventually take a toll on your hands. Therefore, you need to purchase collapsible steps for dogs that is not only super light but can handle from small to medium to large dogs.
It can help your dogs get into cars, SUVs and even trucks. It can be stretched up to 30 inches, depending on the surface that you need it to get up to.
So, whether your dog is suffering from an injury or has joint issues or is too small to reach certain high places, this product will fit perfectly.
Initially, your dog may be scared to use this device but over time, it will adjust just fine.
- This dog ladder for truck, car, and SUV weighs only 7 pounds but can carry a dog that is 120 pounds heavy.
- It can be comfortably adjusted from 20 inches to 30 inches.
- It is a handy product
- Design is sturdy
- Foldable and easy to carry
- May not hold the weight of very large dogs
· Best Plastic Ramps for Cars: WeatherTech Pet Ramp
If you are looking for a car ramp for your dog that will not rust overtime, then this WeatherTech Pet Ramp is the best bet because it is made from plastic.
A lot of reviews about aluminum ramps emphasize the fact that they do not last due to corrosion. Having this product, your pet will enjoy going up and down different platforms without stress.
Most importantly, the dog parent will be getting value for the money spent because the product will last for a long time.
- It is an all-weather product as it does not rust or corrode due to its plastic material design.
- It weighs 16 pounds, making it very easy to carry around.
- Weathertech Pet Ramp can carry the weight of a four-legged pet that weighs up to 300 pounds.
- It has a non-slip edge for cars.
- It has high traction.
- For easy storage, the ramp can be folded in half.
- It will not rust
- It is light and easy to carry
- Easy storage
- The arch may be too steep for some dogs
· Best Dog Ramps for Car Side Doors: Pet Gear Travel Lite Bi-Fold Ramp
When travelling, you need as much space as possible in your car, especially when you are travelling with your family and pets. If you need a ramp that does not take up much space in the car when you are travelling with your pets, then the Travel Lite Bi-Fold ramp should be your top choice.
One very important thing that you should note is that this product should never be used for the rear of any vehicle because its steepness will make it difficult for the dog to climb and will defeat the whole purpose of making sure that it does not overwork its joints.
- The product gives your pet easy access to reach places that are difficult to reach.
- Pet Gear Bi-Fold Ramp can be expanded to a maximum of 20 inches. This makes it easy for the dog to climb on to the side of cars and SUVs. You should note that its length can only work for lower vehicles.
- It weighs very little, can be folded in two, and is easy to carry and transport due to the inbuilt handle.
- Folding is not stressful
- Can be easily carried
- Easy climbing into the car through the side
- Works only for car side doors of lower cars
· Folding Dog Stairs for Cars: Snagle Paw Upgraded Pet Dog Car Step Stairs - Automatic Folding Steps for Trucks
Do you have pets of different sizes and need general stairs that can fit all of them? Snagle Paw step ladder for trucks, cars, and SUVs is the perfect choice for you.
It can be used on every angle on a vehicle and is not too high to cause issues for a healthy dog, neither will it increase pains on an injured dog or dog with joint related issues.
It is not heavy and beautifully folds just like an accordion, making it perfect to carry around. It comes fully assembled and in a carrier bag. So, all you need to do is to unfold and use right away.
- It weighs only 8 pounds but can carry a dog that weighs up to 100 pounds.
- The anti-slip rubber grip beneath the stairs gives it a strong hold for large dogs to be able to climb on to.
- You can adjust the device height from 20 to 30 inches, making it ideal dog ladders for cars, trucks and SUVs.
- You can clean the device with a wet soapy towel.
- Cleaning the product is not difficult
- Can be used by all dog sizes
- It does not hurt the dog's paws
- Does not carry more than a 100-pound dog
· Extra Wide Dog Ramps for Trucks: Pet Gear Tri-Fold Ramp 71-Inch-Long Extra Wide
Has your large dog succeeded in breaking all your dog ramps with its weight? Is your dog physically challenged or you want them to have a stress-free movement when they need to climb vehicles? Then this product which ranks amongst one of the top ramps for dogs to get into trucks, cars, and SUVs will be perfect to purchase for your pet(s).
It can be folded into three parts, thereby creating space in the vehicle. The visible areas will help your dog see where it is going and serves as a guide to prevent your dog from falling out of fear.
- The bottom grip is tight, in order to give large dogs good balance and grip.
- The inbuilt handle makes it easy for the dog parent to carry the device.
- It has a skid-resistant tread that still gives your dog a firm grip on the ramp even when it is wet.
- Skid-resistant grip
- Can hold a 200-pound dog max
- It is wide enough for large dogs
- It is affordable
- It does not last very long
· Lightweight Dog Ramp for Car: PetSafe Happy Ride Folding Dog Ramp
If you are the type of dog owner that goes almost everywhere with your dog, you should definitely purchase this product. It is affordable, yet very durable and easy to set up.
It is strong enough to withstand the weight of 150-pound dog. So, whether you have a car, SUV or minivan, this product will work perfectly for you.
- It can carry 150-pound dogs.
- It has a high-traction surface and siderails to prevent slipping.
- After use, simply fold in half and lock with the safety latch.
- Cleaning is easy
- It cannot carry heavier dogs
Frequently Asked Questions to Address
· Is a ramp or stairs better for dogs?
It depends on why the dog is using it. A younger pet can conveniently take the stairs, but a senior, wounded or smaller pet would demand to use ramps instead. A healthy or medium dog can also use a ramp. It simply reduces all the pressure of the dog’s weight on its body.
· Are stairs bad for dogs?
It depends on the height of each stair. It is not entirely good because of the strain and pressure that it puts on the dog’s joints, but it is better than jumping onto a high platform.
· How do I get my dog used to a ramp?
It is not difficult to teach your dog how to use a ramp. Simply put it on a leash and move it up and down the platform. For every time that it goes up or down, give it a treat. In a short while, it will begin to use the ramp, even without getting treats from you.
· What angle should a dog ramp be?
For small dogs, a ramp width should be about 11 to 12 inches, and for medium breeds, 22 to 24 inches. The ramp angle rise for small dogs should be around 12 to 20 degrees, and for medium dogs, 22 to 25 degrees.
· Do dachshunds need ramps?
Yes, they usually do. Especially if they are senior dogs or are going through some health challenges.
Our Conclusion and Recommendation
Always remember that before your buy a step or ramp for your pet, you need to first figure out what you are purchasing it for. Does the animal suffer from any health-related issues? Do you want aluminum or wooden steps for dogs? Does your dog need a ramp? What is the dog weight? Will it last for a long time? Due to health problems, buying a ramp is a wise decision, especially if it is a joint issue because of an accident or aging. However, you can maintain stairs for healthier, younger and bigger dogs.
As an expert in dog care, I personally think that ramps are better for dogs as they begin to age, to help reduce the stress on the joints when climbing onto high surfaces. If you are a traveler, it is advisable to purchase foldable ramps or stairs, to help create more space for other things to fit inside the car or truck. So far, what's your experience on using dog ramps or steps? Did you use any before and how did you like it? Feel free to share your thoughts here.
More Dog Car Ramps
Images credits: Amazon.com , Chewy.com, Photo Stocks.