The Best Dog Steps and Stairs in 2020: Why Your Furry Friend Need Them
Most dogs love to cuddle with their owners at every chance they get or climb high platforms to retrieve their favorite chew toy. However, this may pose a difficulty if the platforms are too high for it to climb on to. Thus, steps or stairs for dogs would be useful to help your pet.
As a dog owner, carrying your dogs always when they need to climb on a bed can eventually begin to wear you out. This is the reason why you should invest in dog steps or stairs. With the stairs for pets, your dog can now reach high places easily.
You would not have to carry your dogs around always. All you need to do is to set the steps and watch your dogs climb up and down any high surface. Both you and your dog will be happy. Find below even more useful info on steps or stairs for our little friends.
Top Pick for Most Affordable Steps for Dogs
Choose Solvit PupSTEP Plus Doggy Stairs for the Upmost Quality
Having looked through our reviews, we have picked the top dog step or stairs that is suitable for your small dog climbing on high platforms. Perhaps, you have a Lhasa or a Chihuahua who likes to climb beds or high places; the Solvit PupSTEP Plus is considered as the best. Not only is it sturdy, but it is also affordable. Below find the best stairs for you to think over.
The Kinds of Dog Steps We Reviewed
Do you have a dog or dogs that love to snuggle up to you every morning in bed but just cannot reach up until you carry them up? Or you always struggle with carrying your large elderly dog with arthritis into your truck.
We have collected all the types of dog bed steps for large and small dogs, old and young dogs, steps for tall and short platforms, etc. We have done this so that when you eventually decide to shop for stairs for your furry friend, you will make the right choice.
Steps to Consider Before Buying Stairs for Your Dogs
Before you consider buying doggie stairs, you need to understand that these steps are made mostly for smaller, older, injured, or disabled dogs that find it hard to reach high platforms. It may look cute when they always have to jump to get up to whatever height they intend to get to but in reality, continuous jumping can begin to affect their joints and as they grow older, they may begin to experience joint-related issues.
Consider the following as a guide before purchasing your pet steps for your dog.
- What do you need it for? A big dog steps or for smaller dogs? Do you want the kind that can be used to climb a couch, bed, windowsill, etc.? If you have this at the back of your mind, you are sure of getting the kind of steps for your dog that will meet his need.
- Consider its weight. You do not want to get a light product that when a heavy dog gets on it, it gets destroyed.
- Ensure that it is sturdy so that your dog does not get on it and falls due to its inability to hold still.
- Test for mobility. The steps should be easy to carry from one place to another because there are multiple places in your home that your dog would need help getting on to. So, you need bed steps for dogs that you can effortlessly move around to avoid straining your back.
- It should come already assembled or come with an easy assembly manual. No one wants to spend hours trying to fix the steps for bed.
- You can consider the cost when you are sure that the steps have what you want. This is because if you consider price first, you may go for something that will not suit dogs.
If you have the following in mind, there is almost a zero percent chance that you will end up with something that is not good for your dog or dogs.
Reviews of the Top Stairs for Big and Small Dogs
We have put together reviews of different kinds of steps and what dog size or surface it will work best on. Look through the review to pick what appeals more to you.
Dogs are always very hyperactive and jump up and down all day. They just are like babies that want to reach everywhere and touch everything. However, they are not aware of what damages they are causing on their bodies from excessive climbing of high surfaces like a bed, sofa, etc. Therefore, you need these doggie steps for small dogs and medium dogs. It cannot take any dog bigger than 200lbs.
This product is perfect if you are trying to save space in your due to its foldable nature. It is also not heavy and can be carried around even when traveling. This product has been built sturdily to take up medium and small dogs.
Your dog will not fall from this platform if he has the right weight, and because there are side rails on the steps to act as support for the dog. If you have dogs with different sizes and weights, get each of them their steps. Do not get tempted into allowing the bigger dog to climb onto these steps. It may not hold him.
Do you have a small doggie that enjoys spending time with you but always strains itself to climb onto different low to mid-level areas? These doggie steps will assist your dog to conveniently climb up most areas that it cannot reach without help. However, it is a three-step stairs and cannot be used to reach very high areas.
It comes with a plush cover that will be gentle on your dog’s skin. As a parent to dogs, simply station this product on the spot where you want your dog to climb onto, like your bed, sofa, car, etc.
- Easy to clean
- No assembly required
- It does not cater to bigger dogs
- A bit costly
From a little chihuahua to 140pounds heavy bulldog, it still holds in place. This product will save the cost associated with buying different steps for each of the dogs. It is a two-step small and large dog steps. Seeing it for the first time was amazing, and fixing it did not take up to 15 minutes. The rubber grip that is located on the bottom of the step is there to give your dog or dogs a good grip to prevent accidental trip and fall.
For those that have a backyard that is not tiled and have dogs that go there to dig daily, this product is for you. The cover on the steps will prevent your furry friend from staining the entire steps. The cover is washable and not the kind that would retain stains even after washing. The steps are wide enough to comfortably take two dogs; one big and one small one.
- It can take both small and large dogs
- Installation is very simple
- It has a non-slip grip that is soft to your pet’s paws
- It is not ideal for small rooms
- Too high for small dogs
It is sad and painful to see an elderly dog who used to be bubbly and full of life grow old, and you cannot do anything about it. As a dog's age, they begin to find it difficult to jump up on the bed or couch or on you like they used to do. Now, these dogs would rely on mostly being carried. In as much as the owner wants to help, carrying a dog like that all the time can become tiring.
Therefore, you should invest in a product that can help both small and aging dogs climb up to any surface that they need to climb on to. This dog stairs for high bed is the perfect product to rely on. It is 20inches high and supports your dog’s weight if it does not exceed 50 pounds.
For aesthetics, it comes with a trellis-print cover that has four different colors. For the fashionable people out there, the cover will act as part of your home décor. The cover can be hand-washed or put in a washing machine.
- It has a high reach for bed and other areas
- Suitable for aging dogs
- It comes with a cover
- Cannot be used by big dogs
- Smaller than expected
- It needs more steps
If you are a fashionable doggie parent that would not be caught dead using anything that does not add to the decoration of your home, then choosing these pet steps for dogs will be the best investment of 2020.
Though expensive, it looks fashionable and will completely take care of your dog’s climbing needs. So, irrespective of the dog size, this dog steps for high beds, sofas, table, etc. will do the trick very well.
This stair comes with a mini cave so that he can easily enter for a quick nap. So, no matter what size your dog is, they can still enjoy moving up and down the steps and protect their joints from future issues like rheumatism and arthritis.
- It comes with a tight grip to hold the steps very firm
- You don’t have to move your dog up and down a platform all the time
- Assembling is easy
- Complaints of spoilt steps wood upon delivery
- May be too high for dogs with arthritis
Not only is this product helps a dog get on the bed, but also helps your animal, so it doesn’t wince or feel pain when ascending or descending. Customers assure that their pets love the fact that at the end of the dog steps for high bed, there is a flat surface for the animal to climb on first before lunging on to the platform.
The mat on the ramp can be removed and washed. However, if you have cats who may see the mat as a scratch post, they will destroy the mat, and it’s irreplaceable.
- You can assemble this in minutes
- The elastic hold gives the stand a stronghold on the floor
- A lot of dog owners claim that the mat is slippery
- Some owners claim that it is not lightweight
- Anti-slip carpet does not work
It feels bad when your dog has limited mobility due to joint-related issues. It hurts to see them struggle to get to different places but cannot due to the pain that they are experiencing. Even if they keep managing to jump up a couch, at some point, they may totally become disabled and crippled. You should prevent that by purchasing dog stairs for tall beds so that your dog can reach up to you or can easily get into the car.
An attractive feature of this product is the sheepskin cover that will feel so soft beneath your dog’s paws. It is bad enough that they have mobility issues. It is only fair that whatever that they are climbing will not feel hard beneath their tender paws.
- Perfect pet stairs for dogs suffering from a joint-related ailment
- It is very easy to carry
- Soft cloth to protect your dog’s paws
- It cannot carry large dogs
- Unstable steps
- Steps too high for a medium dog
Most dog owners only want the best comfort for their dogs, from when they are young until they begin to age. Therefore, when they begin to age and develop joint issues or have injuries, you need to let them feel normal accessing things like they used to when they were younger or not injured by purchasing a dog steps for bed for them.
This product comes with the softest cloth used as a wrap so that when your dog is climbing up the steps, the pain will be minimal or not even there at all. You can remove the cloth and wash in a machine and wear it back on the product. The non-slip grip material will hold the step-in place so that when your dog is climbing up, it will not shake.
- Fabric wrapper can be washed in a machine
- The best steps for disabled dogs
- It is affordable
- It is not ideal for large dogs
- The steps are a bit narrow
- The steps are a bit shaky
Frequent Questions that People Ask
Many customers have questions to ask about the steps for dogs, so we have compiled a list of possible questions (and answers to them) below that you may be willing to find out.
- Are stairs or a ramp better for dogs?
While steps are good for small or medium dogs that are trying to get up the bed, sofa, table, etc. rams are the best for dogs that are suffering from bone issues like arthritis. It helps them walk up and down the floor to the bed, truck, etc., and back down without the extra effort needed if he was to climb the steps. It is also ideal for small dogs who would need to still jump high to climb the steps to the bed.
- How do I make steps easier for my old dog?
Invest in steps that are not too high to climb your bed or other platforms and are sturdy with a firm grip to prevent the aging dog from tripping and falling over. The steps should also come with rails. Another thing that you can do is to get steps that can be covered with soft fabric that will be gentle to their aging paws.
- How do you train a dog to use steps?
You can start by leading them up and rewarding them with a treat when they reach up the steps and back down. With time, they will not need you to tell them this anymore. They will simply get used to it.
- Are stairs bad for dogs with arthritis?
Well, it is not bad but not entirely good, as it would cause the dog to raise its leg. However, you can purchase a low staircase for a dog with bone pains. If the arthritis is bad, you can invest in a ramp instead.
- Are steps bad for dogs?
No. Not when you get the right one. If you get a dog steps for large dogs and expect a small dog to use it, with time, it will develop joint issues.
- Do dachshunds need ramps?
Every doggie needs a ramp, especially if they have bone issues.
- How do you lift a large dog?
You do not need to lift a large dog because, over time, you will begin to have back issues. Simply buy pet stairs for large dogs or ramps so that they can move easily.
- How do I teach my dog to climb stairs?
Lead him on the steps and reward him with a treat whenever he successfully climbs it.
- Is it safe for dogs to climb stairs?
Yes, it is safe if the right dog weight is climbing it, and the steps have a firm rubber grip beneath to hold it in place.
- Is jumping bad for small dogs?
While it is a good way for dogs to exercise, over time, they may begin to experience joint pains and arthritis.
Final Thoughts on Dog Stairs/Steps
So, in the end, know your dog and its need before you invest money into purchasing a step or stair for it. Avoid getting big steps for a small dog and small steps for a big dog because of the long-term health implications involved. It defeats its whole purpose of making life easy for your dog.
You must identify your dog’s health needs before you purchase steps. Do they have arthritis, rheumatism, or any bone-related issues? When you can identify these issues, you can never get purchasing steps wrong.
With this knowledge, you can walk into any store like an expert and pick the best steps for your pet dogs. Do you have any of the steps mentioned, or are you going to purchase one? Do not forget to share how well it is working for your doggie.
More Dog Steps and Stairs
- 3 colors
- 22.75 x 12 x 19.5 inches
- Made from plastic
- Folds down for easy storage
- 2 colors
- 2 sizes
- High-density foam
- 2 sizes
- Weight up to 120 lbs
- Great for smaller pals
- Include fabric covers
- The parts simply snap together
- The carpet tread helps keep your pet from slipping
- Designed with rubber grips
- Small, portable and easy to store
- 2 sizes
- High-density foam
- Assembles easily
- Durable plastic steps
- Rubberized non-slip tread
- Perfect for senior cats or dogs
- Stand locks in securely during use
- 2 sizes
- 3.5 pounds
- 16 x 21 x 16.5 inches
- Made from Polyurethane
- 31 x 14 x 25.5 inches
- Rubber grippers
- No tools required
- 23.164 x 16.081 x 20 inches
- Ideal for small dogs
- Easy to move
- Decorative fabric creates a non-slip surface
- 2 sizes
- Made from durable wood and MDF
- Built-in side rails
- The folding, low-profile design
- 3 sizes
- 2 colors
- Developed to be gentle for your pets to use daily
- Bottom of these steps is made from a non-slip material
- 5 colors
- 2 sizes
- Machine-washable slipcover
- Made in the USA
- 3 colors
- Made from Wood
- Paw-fect for small and large pets
- Can support over 200 pounds
- 10 colors
- 2 sizes
- Stylish fashion-forward slipcover
- Machine-washable slipcover
- 2 colors
- 2 sizes
- Made with DuraCore technology
- Features a convenient tote handle
SAVE TO YOUR MEMOS!
Images credits: Amazon.com , Chewy.com, Photo Stocks.