Nutro Ultra Dog Food Reviews, Ratings, Recalls, Ingredients!
About the Company
Founded in 1926 in California the Nutro Company is a leader in pet nutrition. Nutro Products inc was bought by Mars Petcare in 2007, one of the largest producers of pet food in the world, they moved Nutro´s headquarters to Franklin, Tennessee. Other foods manufactured by Nutro include Natural Choice dog and cat foods.
The company focuses on offering natural ingredients which they promote as having a number of health benefits for your four legged friend. Its products are sold in Asia, Australia, Europe, Canada the United States and New Zealand.
Certified by the Safe Food Certification Programme which is designed to meet the safety issues specifically related to the manufacturing of pet food.
Both pet food certification programs are administered by the Safe Quality Food Institute (SQFI).
All their facilities are checked by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and they adhere to Good Manufacturing and hygiene Practices, all regulated by the FDA. Nutro Ultra adult food for dogs is also formulated to meet the nutritional requirements established by the AAFCO dog food nutritional profiles for adult maintenance.
In order for the food to comply with being holistic it should have the following:
- Only natural ingredients should be used with nothing artificial and it should not contain by-products.
- The food should use whole grains, fruits and vegetables with nothing processed.
- The ingredients should be included to benefit the animal and should not include anything that would not be in their ancestral food chain.
- The food should contain beneficial vitamins and minerals.
Given these criteria, I would award the product 4.5 stars out of 5 due to my analysis of the adult dry dog food which has above average ingredients for a dog food. Further comments can be seen in my ingredient analysis below.
Nutro Ultra claims to provide only the best superfoods and can list a range of health benefits if you serve their food into your dog’s bowl, these are outlined in this promotional video:
- Use of antioxidants: As a nutritionist, I know the benefits of antioxidants fruits and that is what sets this brand above the rest. It uses a variety of fruits with vitamins, antioxidants and phytonutrients which will strengthen your dog´s immune system and lead to a longer life.
- Vet Recommended: From the research, I have carried our most vet reviews include Ultra as having the ingredients they recommend to promote health in your canine.
- Large choice of tailor-made food: The brand has a wide selection of foods for puppies, adults, senior and for weight management for all breeds including Large, small and toy dog breeds.
- A Wider range of ingredients than other foods: The Nutro Ultra website has a comparison table showing the range of ingredients it provides compared to other competitor brands. When comparing its ingredients to Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Canidae and Orijen, Ultra is the only brand to feature Pomegranate, salmon meal and lamb meal. Only Ultra and Canidae offer pure sunflower oil.
- Price: Compared to other high-quality dog foods it compares well on price with a 30 lb bag of Canidae coming in at 46.54 and Nutro Ultra retailing at 41.75
- Research: Mars funds research through The Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition they claim that their knowledge is fundamental in bringing the company´s vision to life. The center is an authority in pet nutrition and wellbeing and it collaborates with the world’s most renowned veterinary and nutritional scientists. Nutro Ultra prides itself in working with pet food experts to deliver proven pet food formulas.
- Less Dog Poop! The Nutro website claims that good quality ingredients mean that dog stool with be firmer and smaller so easier to clean up. From my knowledge of nutrition, it makes sense that if a dog can process the foods better and if the food enhances the digestive tract then it will mean fewer trips outside with your pooper scooper!
- Safety: Nutro rigorously tests the food ingredients and monitor all grain shipments for mycotoxins which can be poisonous to animals and each product batch is tested for quality and shelf life stability.
- Expensive: Not surprisingly given their claim to include top quality ingredients this food is going to make a larger dent in your wallet than other dog foods.
- Complaints: Nutro Ultra, has had some serious issues with consumer complaints and industry criticism related to the minerals in their foods. The FDA have an on-going investigation into Nutro following a series of complaints from pet owners who claimed that their pets became ill or died after eating the food. Nutro says their products are safe and they undergo rigorous quality testing. I guess it depends on who you believe. Their foods are top sellers so there must be more happy customers than un-happy ones.
Nutro Ultra Reviews of Ingredients
Ultra claims to have the correct blend of protein, premium fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and natural oils.
- Their foods feature three proteins: chicken, pasture-fed lamb, and salmon which delivers amino acids to the dog and promotes stronger muscles. The high level of meat proteins also makes their food taste great to dogs.
- The combination of natural brown rice, rolled oats, flaxseed and sunflower oil, provides essential fatty acids for a shiny soft coat.
- The range of antioxidants from the cranberries, carrots and tomatoes help to maintain a healthy immune system.
- Salmon and rolled oats help to maintain a healthy heart and cardiovascular system allowing you dog to stay active.
- Vitamins sources such as beets and carrots promote healthy eyesight and good vision.
My only criticism with the ingredients is the inclusion of dried plain beet pulp and tomato pomace which are controversial ingredients, some arguing they are nutritious, while some saying they are a cheap filler and the inclusion of 3 types of rice which could then bring the balance of carbs above the level of protein
Nutro Ultra Dog Food Recall History
Some Nutro pet treats were recalled in 2015 due to the possibility of mold contamination. Petsmart was one company to withdraw Nutro pet treats.
What was recalled: 4 oz. Nutro Apple Chewy Treats with Lots Codes beginning with “4 50,” “5 02,” “5 03,” or “5 05”
Nutro Ultra has had no recalls in the last 2 years.
I know from my work with dogs that giving your pets the most natural nutrients possible, for repair and regeneration, keep them healthy and can even reverse early degenerative issues.
If you take a look at how pet food companies create a product they need to meet accepted levels of various food nutrients and the industry recommended ratios of protein, fat and carb content. Then they can throw in any other additions they choose to include and many of these are very low quality.
Even for those pertaining to have protein as their first ingredient, this does not always come from real meat as we know it. It is often a chicken by-product which is not easily digestible. Canola oil is also often used as a fatty acid source. This could lead to your dog only being able to absorb 75% of the food which is why your dog´s poo may be stinky and messy. If your dog is absorbing their food properly you will notice smaller well-formed stools.
We all know as humans that a good diet can result in a longer, healthier life and it is no different for dogs. If you want your dog to live a full and active life it may be worth digging further into your wallet and investing in a premium quality food like Nutro Ultra.